Coinbase Executive Discovers AI “Jailbreak” for ChatGPT to Predict Crypto Price Scenarios

Conor Grogan, the Head of Business Operations at Coinbase, has claimed to have found a way to “jailbreak” ChatGPT, an artificial intelligence tool developed by OpenAI. Grogan, who is an avid user of ChatGPT, shared a screenshot of the tool’s predictions on Twitter, showing that it had assigned a 15% probability of Bitcoin prices falling over 99.99% and becoming irrelevant by 2035. ChatGPT also predicted that there was a 20% chance of Ethereum approaching near-zero price levels by the same year. The tool gave even lower probabilities for Litecoin and Dogecoin, indicating a 35% and 45% chance of them going to near-zero respectively. Grogan concluded that while ChatGPT was a “big fan” of Bitcoin, it remained “more skeptical” when it came to altcoins.

Before testing cryptocurrency predictions, Grogan asked ChatGPT to assign odds to several political predictions, such as those involving Vladimir Putin, Joe Biden, and Donald Trump. The tool also made predictions about the impact of AI on humanity, religion, and the existence of aliens. Grogan ran the prompt over 100 times and claimed that ChatGPT’s results were precise and consistent. In a previous experiment, Grogan showed that GPT-4, the latest version of ChatGPT, could identify security vulnerabilities in Ethereum smart contracts and outline how to exploit them.

OpenAI studies have demonstrated that ChatGPT can pass high school tests and law school exams with scores in the 90th percentile. The team behind ChatGPT has continually worked to improve its ability to understand and respond to human language and has trained the AI tool on vast amounts of data from the internet. This training has enabled ChatGPT to generate human-like responses to text prompts and has made it a popular tool for natural language processing tasks.

It is worth noting that AI tools like ChatGPT are only as good as the data they are trained on. Therefore, while ChatGPT can provide accurate predictions based on its training data, its predictions may not always reflect reality. It is also essential to consider that cryptocurrency markets are highly volatile and influenced by a variety of factors such as global news events, regulatory changes, and investor sentiment. Therefore, while ChatGPT’s predictions may offer insights into potential price scenarios, they should not be relied upon as investment advice.

Italy recently lifted its ban on ChatGPT after imposing it for a month due to privacy concerns. The Italian Data Protection Authority (Garante Privacy) stated that the ban was lifted after OpenAI provided more detailed information on how ChatGPT operates and how user data is handled. The tool’s ability to generate human-like text has raised concerns about the potential misuse of AI-generated content, particularly in cases where users may be unaware that they are interacting with an AI tool. As AI tools continue to advance, it is crucial to ensure that their development and use are guided by ethical principles to avoid potential harm.